zondag 17 februari 2008

Day 3-4.5: mumbai to Delhi

After my last blogpost I went for a hike through Mumbai maximum city. I promptly got myself lost. But no worries, I've got maps and there are about 26 million people in Mumbai to ask directions from. Yet it seems a strange thing to do, naming all streets in Mumbai Mahatma Gandhi Rd... But in a fit of sheer pathfinding genius, I followed some guys carrying cricket equipment, and in no time I found myself at the Oval Maidan. After that I saw the university and the courthouse (both very hogwartsy). Still looking to spot Professor Snape behind one of the windows, I got myself lost yet again. This time I ended up in front of a whitewashed building that turned out to be St. Thomas' Cathedral, the oldest British-built building in Mumbai. It was a very nice find, mainly because it was quiet, cool and free. It also has a cannonballproofroof, which is... well... the kind of thing I like. In the evening, I went to have a last look at the gateway, and saw a SRK-bollywood on my laptop... sweet...

Yesterday was a very idle day, with much time spent hanging in couches, bantering. Checkout was at 9, but my train didn't leave 'till 16:40. Let's just say I ate and talked. My trainticket was a 3T-AC-Sleeper. That means 6 people in a compartment, 3 berths above each other on both sides, and meals and blankets included. I love trains, I also loved this one. My fellow-compartment-people were 2 Kashmiri sikhs from Goa on their way to a wedding, a young hindu-couple on their way home after a trip to Indonesia, and a devout muslim. After all my studies about communal violence in India, it was very nice to see how everyone got along great, even when discussing religion. I even (finally) started speaking Hindi. You wouldn't believe the amount of food Indian railways gives its passengers. It's sick. It's really good too. But anyway, I had the top berth, so I had to dig up my long-forgotten rock-climbing-skills. Why is down always easier than up? stupid gravity...

So since this morning, I am residing in Delhi. My hotel is a bit fishy, but nothing I can't handle. I'm keeping a low profile today, but since I could find no wireless networks prowling the edges of my (bath)room, I snuck out to the nearest internethut to type you guys this. Sweet dreams!

4 opmerkingen:

sarah zei

Haai Tine,

Zoals beloofd volg ook ik jouw avonturen! Ik kijk elke dag uit naar nieuwe verhalen en sinds kort ook naar je film ;o) Geniet er van, ik blijf intussen gulzig lezen! x

Anke de Sagher zei

Schattebeest, t klinkt daar allemaal ronduit geweldig! Ik heb afgezien van een hele leuke mail van mijn voormalige prof Klener, een cool project over Tsjtsjenen in Jordanie :p , een gekke prof Doom, een aangenaam lees-moment in t Salon gevolgd door een even aangenaam Pieter-moment nadien en een leuke lunch met Eline, niet veel meer te melden. Gent, t is schoon, maar toch een klein beetje leeg zonder jou. Oy vavoy ;)

Anoniem zei

tine,
mijn fimsterdochter
wanneer komt de film uit ?
blij te horen dat de treinreizen goed te pruimen zijn ! nog veel avontuur en een goede gezondheid hé
groetjes
mamie

Unknown zei

Du bist ein euh bunny! Groetjes daar en waag het niet later dan voorzien terug thuis te komen ik heb chocolade therapie nodig.

M die lusteloosheid en hyperactiviteit afwisselt