woensdag 13 februari 2008

Day 1 - Bombay - huh?

I appear to be in bombay... How I got here I can't really remember, but it is now 18h30 here, and outside it's starting to get dusky. I find myself in a very strange position, in front of the toilet. In front of the toilet, you'll probably exclaim, why? are you sick already? Rest assured, I am not sick. It's just that after pacing through my room wall-to-wall corner-to-corner, it turned out this was the only place where I could steal some wifi. So now, I've made my bathroom into a little en-suite office. It is not ideal though... the shower is 'indian style', which means a tap, a bucket and some tupperware (which means wet floors after use). The second problem with this office is that it has a small window missing. I just spent 10 minutes trying to chase a pidgeon out of here (and I don't mean to brag, but it worked (feeling very independent right now...)). Third problem is that sitting here, lights-on, window missing, near water, greatly increases my chances of getting eaten my mosquitoes. But appart from these three tiny inconveniences: I'm in bussiness.

My flight was very smooth, with very good food, and a bollywood movie with SRK. The moneychanging and taxi-getting went, all things taken into account (I just can't haggle after 12h travel), very well too. I reached my hostel by 2:30 at night. It took some waving of reservationpapers to convince the nightguard to let me in, but around 3 I had snuck into a dark dorm, and thrown myself (fully dressed) onto an empty bed (lucky guess, in the dark). Due to all this, and gargantuan ravens and the indian habit of blowing their carhorn on sight (of anything at all) made my first hours of Indian sleep somewhat unfulfilling. At 9 in the morning I had, however found myself a nice private room, in which I promptly crashed 'till one in the afternoon. Bombay is a very strange city. It's actually more or less like a 150 year old victorian-style upperclass english neighbourhood, but with some jungle thrown in for good measure. Which, come to think about it, is exactly what it is. I didn't go far into the city today. But I saw the gateway, arranged a trainticket to delhi, and explored the neighbourhood fruit-stalls. Tonights plan is getting started on some research. The regionalism-nationalism-maffia-vortex in Bombay is very complicated, but extremely interesting, though I will not bother you with that just now.
Goodnight from all of us here at the office!

7 opmerkingen:

Dieter Adriaenssens zei

It's nice to know you arrived safely in India and managed to get a bed(room).
Yesterday, at the OAK-party, we missed you though, when 'Boten Anna' (original version) was played.
Have fun in the very distant India and don't forget to evacuate your 'office' of any computer and other electronic devices, before using it in the usual way.

Dr Tho zei

So you have it tough, hey?
I have to sit on my porch in the sun to get an internet-connection. And it usually doesn't work unless I have a beer and a cigar to boot.

Anoniem zei

wat die mannen kunnen (reactie achterlaten) moet ik ook kunnen
ik blijf proberen lieve schat !

Anoniem zei

tof hotel !

Anoniem zei

ik blijf maar proberen maar,ik raak niet buiten met mijn verhaal. en uw moederke kan van haar geslaagde pogingen niet veel voort vertellen. Volgende poging ,XX Oma

Anoniem zei

hoera denk het gevonden te hebben.Sta al versteld van uw eerste dag en blij dat ge uiteindelijk toch een ordentelijke kamer kreeg

Mane zei

Heyhey
Thanks for the reactions! For those not used to the wonderful world of blogs: congratulations all the same! But please put your name somewhere in your reaction if you post it anonymously.
@Ruleant: I'm glad to hear I'm missed when they play that kind of music. I would liked to have been there!